Tuesday, March 17, 2009

#54 - Books, Readers & Beyond:Social Networking through Books

#1 - I have never belonged to a book club, it would remind me too much of school. I might prefer to join one online if I had the time and inclination. There I could remain anonymous and be more at ease expressing my views.

#2 - I visited "Reading Group Choices" and found a section where it discusses setting up a book club. There is a section which gives tips and ideas on what may happen in a book club and how to handle it. For example, how to handle a member who just takes over the discussion (Boo Club Divas), suggestions on what to do to get the discussion going again (Dead Air), and suggestions on how to choose a name for your club. In this section you will also find a Fun Activities: games are suggested to get to know new members and to keep the discussion fun and interesting.

#3 - I went to Goodreads and looked at the book "Version of the Truth" by Jennifer Kaufman. Advertisement popups immediately come on. It shows 3 covers which looked pretty much the same. It shows where you can buy the item. There wer no discussion topics yet. The book has over 400 reviews by people with star ratings given. You can add a comment ont ehthe reviews. It also has quotes from the book. A strange area is that you can get upcoming events for the day from all parts of the world. For example "Northanger Abbey Meeting at Positanos Restaurant in Australia, wtih no more info! there is a section called Groups which I found a bit bizarre. For example a group called "Hannah Montana Haters; very juvenile, with cussing, bad language, etc. There is also and "Anti Twilight Club", and "The Haters Club."
I went to The Library Thing. For "Versions of the Truth" they had 3 conversations going. They had star ratings, as well as chart line illustrations with average ratings. It included 2 reviews by members. They have a "swap" section, but this title was not available for swapping. It also showed the book jackets.

I liked Library Thing better. I put in a general subject and it brought up a rather obscure book that I own. The site presumed to tell me if I would like it or not. It said I would not like it: wrong! I was not impressed. However, it gave an extensive and inclusive list of other titles on that subject which was very thorough

No comments: